Photobucket

Introducing Mr. Gizmo Feathersworth

Last Friday was the big day! When I first saw this scared little bird in the corner of the travel cage I fell in love. He has the most adorable eyes and cute squeak. When he arrived he looked pretty much like the last photo in my previous post - mostly pin feathers all over, but now he's actually starting to look like a real bird! (see photos below)

There's just one problem...Nani HATES him. I have introduced them slowly, the first day letting her see him in him cage from a distance. As soon as the baby started making his "feed me" cries Nani freaked. She started lunging at the cage and pinning her eyes. My heart sunk, I hoped at least she'd be curious. I've made it a point reassure her in an obvious and exaggerated way that she is still top bird. I excitedly greet her first, take her out of her cage first, give her treats first, etc. I also am spending the same amount of time playing with her so she sees that just because there's a new addition nothing has changed. She is a lot more relaxed now and mostly ignores the baby except when I am holding him and she's out of her cage. Unfortunately yesterday she got to him and bit at him. I was sitting on the couch with him and she came running over. I held my hand out for her to step up (I have successfully held both at the same time as long as Nani is perched higher) but instead she lept to my shoulder and down my chest to attack. It happen so fast! He let out a loud scream and I was sure he'd be bleeding all over. To my relief he was untouched. I checked every inch of his skin and there wasn't so much as a mark. I think that maybe at the most she pulled on some feathers or the tip of her beak touched him and he got scared. Now I am making sure to either hold him in another room or do it when she's put away. She went to check out his cage today and I took some video...



Above: 2 days after arriving


Below: The basket I carry him around in. Notice his feathers have grown in quite a bit.










0 comments:

Subscribe By Email:

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner



Do You Own A Parrot?


Nani's Vocabulary To Date:

Pretty Birdie
Pretty Girl
What Are You Doing?
(variation) Whatcha Doin'?
I Love You
Thank You
Look At You!
Peek-A-Boo
Chickie
What?
Come Here!
JoJo
Go Poo Poo
Uh Oh
Flip!
Hop!
I Don't Want You.
Pet Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory