Photobucket

"Peek-a-boo"

Mr. Feathersworth has taken much longer to wean than most other birds of his size. He's still taking two feedings a day and barely picks at his food. Milestones have been slow and far and few between. However I do have two really juicy ones to share!


Last night Mr. FW was as full as could be yet continued to cry, and quite loudly I might add. Since it was already late I decided it was bedtime and covered up the cage. I continued to stay in the same room quietly reading and pretty soon he started his nightly ritual of singing himself to sleep. It usually lasts only a few minutes but it's quite melodious. Then I heard it, in a cute squeaky voice: "peek-a-boo"! You see Nani says it all the time, several times a day and I say it back to her. I was so excited, he's not even weaned and is talking already!


Another milestone is that he's been (finally!) using his foot to pick things up. Parrots use their feet to grasp food and toys (see the photo below). Well Mr. FW has been such a CLUMSY bird that it felt like he'd never get the hang of things but sure enough, he's made progress. Using his foot to grasp objects is one step closer to weaning. That's because he'll be able to pick up pieces of food and chow down. It's definitely a big step in the right direction!


2 comments:

belovedparrot said...

4 months is still very much a baby, you know. ;-)

Joe said...

What a cute little guy! It’s a lot of fun watching your young parrots learn to talk and pick up toys. When I purchased my African Grey he was just a little thing. I wasn’t a very experienced bird owner at the time and I had this little cage for him. I guess I didn’t realize Greys can grow to be quite large. Before long he was getting cramped—and very vocal about it. A friend came by and told me that the cage was too small for a growing Grey. I felt embarrassed that I’d overlooked this. So I went out and purchased the largest birdcage I could afford from Cages By Design My Grey has been happy as a lark ever since.

Subscribe By Email:

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner



Do You Own A Parrot?


Nani's Vocabulary To Date:

Pretty Birdie
Pretty Girl
What Are You Doing?
(variation) Whatcha Doin'?
I Love You
Thank You
Look At You!
Peek-A-Boo
Chickie
What?
Come Here!
JoJo
Go Poo Poo
Uh Oh
Flip!
Hop!
I Don't Want You.
Pet Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory