Photobucket

Does It Taste Better On The Floor?

Today I made Nani a delicious medley consisting of brown rice, wild rice, corn, peas, carrots, broccoli sprouts, and dried cranberries with a hint of chili powder. At the sight of it she growled in approval and immediately rushed over to her bowl. But what happened next is the curious part. After just a few bites she delightfully started flinging bits and pieces to the floor. Oh what fun! Immediately she raced down the side of her cage and jumped to the floor where she started foraging with gusto. Now I asked myself, why go through all the trouble? I mean, doesn't this bowl look worthy of at least 15 full minutes of culinary enjoyment? Does it taste better on the floor?


But perhaps I've answered my own question. I think the keyword is "foraging". Since parrots in the wild must forage (foraging: the act of looking or searching for food or provisions) there must be a certain need for this behavior. Actually, it keeps their little brains busy and is enjoyable for them. Check out this cute and informative site on foraging: http://foragingforparrots.com/


(just look at those beady eyes pinning in excitement!)







So maybe the answer to the question is a resounding YES. It really does taste better on the floor.


♫♪♪

0 comments:

Subscribe By Email:

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner



Do You Own A Parrot?


Nani's Vocabulary To Date:

Pretty Birdie
Pretty Girl
What Are You Doing?
(variation) Whatcha Doin'?
I Love You
Thank You
Look At You!
Peek-A-Boo
Chickie
What?
Come Here!
JoJo
Go Poo Poo
Uh Oh
Flip!
Hop!
I Don't Want You.
Pet Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory